First impressions are important. The Origin Authentication Scan is the first step in your item's journey through the Ghostnote ecosystem, the photograph which establishes your item as a unique, one-of-one piece of artwork and presents it to the world.
Getting a good Origin Authentication Scan is a vital part of the Ghostnote process. Special consideration should be given to both the item itself and its background.
- Is your item very 'colorful' or 'busy?' Scan the item against a plain, simple background to ensure success for downstream buyers.
- Conversely, is your item a bit more simple in color and detail? Your background can be more varied, but special care should be taken to choose a background whose color is different from the color of your item.
There are also a number of things to consider when taking the scan:
- Is my item within the capture box? Your subject does not need to touch the sides of the capture box, but your entire item does need to be within its bounds for the scan to work correctly. Keep in mind that the photo will not be cropped - anything in the blurry edges will be visible in the listing.
- Is there any shadowing in my scan? You should do your absolute best to ensure there is no shadowing on either the object itself or its background.
- Is my scan blurry? You can zoom in to check for blurriness in the capture you've taken. If you see blurriness, you should retake the scan.
- Have I chosen the side with the highest quantity of unique features? Your feature pins help define the ways in which your item is unique, and our software will use these features to confirm authenticity for future buyers.
- Have I taken a 'straight on' scan? Items with three dimensions are more difficult to authenticate. This difficulty can be mitigated by taking scans of an item 'straight on,' rather than at an angle.
- Is the configuration of my item easy for a buyer to recreate? Ensure that your items will be as easy as possible for your buyers to scan, when the time comes for them to confirm authenticity. See our guide for arranging clothing before attempting to submit clothing for consideration.
Following these guidelines when taking your Origin Authentication Scans will greatly aid in your items' success on Ghostnote. A good scan helps to sell your items more quickly because they will look better on the website, and it will make the buyer's authentication process easier to navigate. Please continue to refer to this document until you've got a good handle on the scanning process.